A couple of years ago, when I started this blog I came up with some suggested names for a summer collegiate league in the region. One of the suggestions was the Cape Breton Highlanders (after the Highlands & the area’s Scottish heritage). Turns out I am not the only person with that idea. The new NBL Canada franchise which is scheduled to begin play in 2016-17 has labelled itself with that exact same name.
I guess it’s back to the drawing board for me as I need to come up with another name for any hypothetical baseball teams in Sydney. A Sydney baseball team could also be branded:
- Cape Breton Celts (Scottish)
- Cape Breton Gaels (see above)
- Cape Breton Miners (industry, former name for Glace Bay baseball & hockey teams)
- Cape Breton Royals (the island was originally called Ill Royale by the French in the 1700’s)
- Cape Breton Steelers (industry)
I am sure there are others but this is the best I can come up with off the top of my head. As is the case with every other Sydney team (Highlanders, Screaming Eagles, Breakers & Oilers) I would stick with naming any team after “Cape Breton” and not just “Sydney”.